Monday, August 24, 2009

Personal Connections

  1. In the introduction, the short story focuses on Lizabeth's memories of the past. She only remembered dust that filled her cities streets. When I think about my past, I also remember Texas's dust that always went into my mouth.
  2. "By the time I was fourteen, my brother Joey and I were the only children left at our house, the older ones having left home for early marriage or the lure of the city..." In 2005, my second sister and I became the only children of our house because my older sister left to go to a university in America. My second sister, Eunice, and I have good memories of just playing at home.
  3. "I remember fishing for minnows in a muddy creek and watching sadly as they eluded my cupped hands." When I lived in America, I fished for fish in San Diego with my dad. I also felt sorry for the fish when it tried so hard to escape back into the ocean.
  4. "I was loafing under the great oak tree in our yard, deep in some reverie." In California, I used to always play by myself in the yard and whenever I was tired I would lie down on the grass and just nap. It used to be so relaxing.
  5. "The idea caught on at once, for annoying Miss Lottie was always fun." I love pestering my friends. It is fun because every person reacts differently and I like to see their reactions.
  6. I think I am related to John Burke because I would say that we are both lazy. However, when something annoys me, I get furious.
  7. When Lizabeth was ashamed after getting hit by Miss Lottie, Lizabeth was in a bad mood for the rest of the day. I am like her because when I am ashamed, I do not want to be talked to or played with. This anger also does not easily go away.
  8. When Lizabeth's parents were negotiating about their problems, Lizabeth was afraid and couldn't sleep. My parents don't "negotiate" that much, but when I was little, I couldn't sleep when my parents did argue.
  9. In my life, I have made many thoughtless mistakes, such as getting in a fight, hitting a wall, or cursing when I was mad. Lizabeth also mindlessly destroyed the garden because she was mad.
  10. When Lizabeth got in trouble with Miss Lottie, I couldn't but remember myself getting in trouble. I've gotten in trouble too many times to name them all, but I can remember one particular time. When I was young and spoiled, I loved to eat. One day my sister left me a task to not eat her chocolate bar while she went to the bathroom, but I couldn't fulfill that task. When she got back I got in trouble.


No comments:

Post a Comment