Tuesday, August 11, 2009

First Stab at Essential Questions

The questions below are our “essential questions” for the first few weeks. Please answer these questions the best you can before we do any activities related to them(please write at least one paragraph per question):
1. What are my current reading skills?
- My current reading skills are good. I can read quickly and understand at the same time. However, if the passage I read is not interesting, I tend to skip sentences. If the passage is fun, I read at a faster pace than usual. Passages such as Harry Potter are very fun so I finished the first book in 2 days in 5th grade.
2. How can I improve and grow as a reader?
- I can improve reading by practicing. I can try to read everyday so that I will grow faster at reading. My comprehension while reading can improve if I practice reading slowly while understanding fully. Later when I improve my reading speed, I can read passages faster while understanding fully.
3. What purpose can literature serve in my life?
- The Bible is one type of literature. Literature helps us understand what God is trying to tell us through the Bible. The Bible contains history, and literature can help us read what has happened before we were born. Literature is not only recorded by paper, but also by our speech. When we communicate with our friends, we use literature. The alphabet is a type of literature.
4. What resources can I find in the library that will help me in this course and other courses?
-I can find encyclopedias that have resources that are relavent to any topic. Dictionaries from the library can help people who don't know vocabulary in a course. Even fictional books that include the course's topic can help.

1 comment: